Sunday, February 2, 2014

Happy Groundhog's Day!

Before I get started, I need to have an honest moment.  

I've been slacking on the project front for months.  My kids love them, but for some reason, I just procrastinate putting them together until, almost all of a sudden, it's been 3 months without a project.

My goal for the rest of school is to plan one, simple project each month.  Plan and then DO (I'm pretty good with the planning). 

Okay, now that we're clear, HAPPY GROUNDHOGS DAY!!

I started off on my new goal right away by finding this cute Groundhogs Day craft on Pinterest and then getting it ready for my kids to do the same day.

For each child you'll need:
2 sheets of blue construction paper (or whatever color they decide the sky should be)
1 sheet of green construction paper (again, or whichever color they'd like the ground to be)
1 groundhog shadow (trace groundhog on black paper)
1 sun, clouds and possibly some snow (yellow and white construction paper)
Scissors and Glue

1. I used a math compass to draw circles as big as would fit on each sheet (you'll need 2 blue circles and 1 green for each child).

2. Either draw your own groundhogs or print these ones like I did.  I printed them wallet size and they fit perfectly.

3. Trace one groundhog on black paper for a shadow.

4. Cut out a circle for your sun, a few white clouds and maybe even a mound or two of snow (or use cotton balls for the clouds and snow, I just didn't have any).  You can also cut out some small flowers or draw them on like we did.

5. Put them together by cutting the green circle in half and gluing one half to each blue circle.  Fold the blue circles in half leaving one half green and one half blue on the inside.  Glue the two blue circles together so you can flip back and forth between the groundhog seeing his shadow (sun, shadow, and snow on one circle) and not seeing his shadow (clouds and flowers).

He sees his shadow and we get 6 more weeks of winter.




It's cloudy, there's no shadow to be seen and SPRING IS HERE!
(can you tell which one I voted for?)




Here you can see how we glued the two blue circles together.


While I know there are lots of wonderful parents out there who love projects just as much as their children, just in case there are a few of you who end of having to make yourself (even when you like it after getting started), I have some advice.  Pick something small (even if it's the week after the holiday!) and then, just do it.

Hope you've had a fantastic Groundhogs Day (even though Punxatawney Phil predicted 6 more weeks of winter). 

Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...