Monday, November 5, 2012

What we read...

I came across a quote while looking at Gretchen Rubin’s blog (the author of The Happiness Project) yesterday that I loved.  It made me both smile and think "YES!" 

Samuel Johnson: “What we read with inclination makes a much stronger impression  If we read without inclination, half the mind is employed in fixing the attention; so there is but one half to be employed on what we read.”
There are many books that I think I should want to read.  Books that I know are good and that I would learn and grow from reading, but I have a hard time making myself start.  When I do start, I have a hard time getting engaged, staying engaged and getting the book finished.  Then I feel guilty  for not being more excited to read books that I think I should (and yes I know that’s a little silly). 
This quote resonated with me because it offers an explanation.  And more than that, just by reading this and knowing that someone else struggled with some books (and others struggle, Gretchen did post the quote) makes me feel better. 
I will still try to get myself to read books that are outside my comfort zone, books that I KNOW are good for me.  I’ll just cut myself some slack when it’s hard, after all, only half my mind is available to enjoy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...