Friday, January 11, 2013

Divergent

How many of you are members of Goodreads?  I have to say, I both love it and am overwhelmed by this amazing website.

I love it because I'm a huge fan of lists.  I love to keep track of things and, like I've mentioned before, mark them off.  With Goodreads you can keep track of what books you've read, what you're reading right now (although you'll probably remember that one on your own) and what books you want to read.

The want to section is where I get into trouble.  There are so many books I read about in blogs, see while browsing in stores and hear about from my friends.  I almost just typed too many books, except even though I find my list a little overwhelming, I'm not sure there can be too many books on my "to read" list. 

I know there can be so many I won't be able to read them all, but too many like I shouldn't add more?  Nope.  Never. 

As evidenced by my continual additions.  A few weeks ago, I got an email from Goodreads telling me all about their readers top picks for 2012.  They have top picks for every genre of book and then some overall categories as well.  I browsed through and ended up adding a few more books to my list (surprise, surprise).

Lately, as I add items to my "to read" list, I check my local library's website at the same time.  This way I can check them out and hopefully read them and get them off my "to read" list in a timely manner.  Sometimes it even works out that way.  Like a book I just finished last week.  I actually started it last week, too.  It only took me a couple days (like two) to read it.  It was pretty darn fun.
 
Divergent is the start of a dystopian series located in Chicago.  Right away, I was comparing it to The Hunger Games, but they're almost nothing alike.  They are both dystopian and the main characters from both are young.  That's about it.  Well, I guess not it, they're also both good and there are parts in both that are slightly disturbing.
 
In Divergent, the people of Chicago are split into 6 groups.  5 factions each epitomizing a different, admirable trait (the sixth group are those that belong to no faction, cast offs).  You see, they figured that if they only focused on being perfect at 1 trait, they would be able to remain more peaceful and prevent war.  They were wrong.  Of course. 
 
It was a super fun read for both Makenna and I.  We highly recommend it.
 
I also recommend Goodreads.  It's a great place to not only keep track of what you want to read, but to be exposed to lots of amazing books that may be outside your comfort zone.  I've loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...