Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Funk-I-Ness

Have you ever had a week where it seemed that nothing could go right?  Not really because things didn't go right, but because even if they happened to, your mood didn't improve?

If you're like my husband, you read the above sentences with a puzzled look on your face.  He never has weeks like that.  I think that's one of the things I love about him. 

Unfortunately, I do have weeks like that.  I had one last week.  I just couldn't seem to get out of this yucky funk no matter what I did.  I got through my days by grumpily plodding along, but without any JOY!

Then, late last week I was perusing a couple blogs and I started to feel better. 

Heather Sanders (a Pioneer Woman contributor) spotlighted a blog called Small Things.  I didn't even get to the blog, just reading Heather's post and thinking about the small blessings that are truly a part of my every day life started to pick me up.  You see, when I get a little funk-ey (and not in the good way), I have a hard time looking around and really SEEING the beauty that my life holds. 


Like this little moment.  I can't see Josh's face, but I can tell he's got a HUGE grin on his face.  I need to learn from my kids to be joyful in the small things.

Then, while I was thinking about be joyful and how to really accomplish that consistently in my life, I read some Gretchen Rubin.  She said that our attitude doesn't affect what we do, what we do affects our attitude.

Do you ever read something and have to sit back and think about it for a minute?  It's one of my favorite things.  I thought about how when I'm not feeling good, if I can pull myself out long enough to laugh with my kids, my whole day seems to brighten.  Sadly, while I do have examples like that from my life, most of my experience come from the other end.

I know that when I act grumpily I only get more grumpy.  I KNOW it and yet I still do it.  Why do you think that is? 

Gretchen also talks about how we are happiest when we are on a journey.  It's not completing the goal that brings the most happiness, it's when we are progressing towards becoming our goals. 

We finished our 2013 goals as a family more than a week ago and I've stuck them in a pile on my desk (they're sort of buried right now).  I'm going to un-bury our goals and work on turning them into a list we can stick on our walls.  I'm also going to make my resolutions chart so I can daily keep track of my progress.

So, my solution to the FUNK? 

Step one: see the blessings everyday.  I'm digging out my journal to write down those "small things."  I know that the more I LOOK, the more I'll see.

Step two: remember and work on my daily goals with the help of a handy dandy resolutions chart.

Step three: I didn't mention this one before (cuz I just thought of it), but Glenn Beck says you need to tell your dreams/goals to the world to make them a reality, so I'll do that too.  Just as soon as I get the chart done.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...