Sunday, October 14, 2012

The Happiness Project

I just finished a book titled The Happiness Project, by Gretchen Rubin.  I liked it A LOT.  I think I liked it so much because the author reminded me of myself.  It's an easy, fun read with lots of little gems sprinkled throughout.  Here are a few of my favorites:

~ "Nothing is insurmountable if I do what I know ought to be done, little by little every day."  And relatedly, but worth repeating, "Do not underestimate how much can be done in only a few minutes every day."

~ "I can do anything I want, but I can't do everything I want."  Sorry, Sharilyn.

~ "On the whole, though I never arrived at the perfection I had been so ambitious of obtaining, but fell far short of it, yet as I was, by the endeavor, a better and a happier man than I otherwise should have been had I not attempted it." I now want to read Benjamin Franklin's autobiography.  I love his resolutions and find his attitude, even after failing in his original goals, inspirational.  I also (like Gretchen) want to make my own resolutions chart for myself and my family.

~ And lastly, "There are times in the lives of most of us when we would have given all the world to be as we were but yesterday, though that yesterday had passed over us unappreciated and unenjoyed."  I want to engrave this quote from William Edward Hartpole Lecky on my soul.  Does that sound cheesy?  Weird?  Well, it's still true.  I want to never forget (even though I know I will) or at least remember as often as possible to cherish and treasure the small moments every day because as Gretchen said many times in her book, the "days are long but the years are short." 

If you're looking for something to read, something fun that will make you think and be grateful, go pick it up.  Or be like me and check it out from your local library.  I have some serious love for my library.  Shoot, did that sound weird again?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...