Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Book Report Quilt

A few months ago, I let the kids choose the next book for us to read together.  Makenna excitedly convinced her brothers to pick Fablehaven and even though it was a little rough getting into the first book, they absolutely love it now.  No, I'm not still reading the first book, we finished it some time ago and are now in the middle of the 3rd (I didn't realize I was signing up for 5 books when we got started).

After finishing the 2nd book, I thought it would be fun to do a group book report and after looking through the ideas I'd found earlier this year, I picked out the perfect one.


I found this quilt book report on the internet, copied the instructions and saved them in my book report folder.  Unfortunately, I did't save where I found it so I can't give correct credit, if someone knows who came up with this brilliant idea, let me know, I'd love to acknowledge them!

I think it turned out pretty darn good!  Each column is the work of a different child and each row has a different theme.  Our top row is all their favorite characters (Vanessa, Seth and Kendra).  The middle row is their favorite part and the bottom row (from left to right) is the setting (he chose one part of the larger setting of Fablehaven), the plot and the conclusion.  One of the things I love is the opportunity to customize, you can have your kids make any kind of square(s) you'd like!

As you can probably tell, I adapted it a little for each child's ability (although it was still pretty easy for my 6th grader).  James only wrote a sentence or two, Ben wrote a litte more and Makenna wrote a lot.  They loved making it and love showing it off to anyone who comes anywhere near our house (okay, I might be exaggerating, but only a little bit).

We only have one more book report left until our school year is over and we'll be getting started on them this week (I'll show them to you when we get'em finished).  Do you have a favorite book report or activity?  I'd love to hear about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...